Great posts and replies so far. Me and my alliance decided to accept the challenge/invite and joined the war. It's not about choosing sides, nor anything personal, we just had our own reasons.
Gameplay, why we joined at all
Before joining this event I have received several threats from opponents not to engage. They claim that everything on the server is going well and everybody enjoys the game as it is. I had my own thoughts: I enjoy a game the most if I can play it to the full extend of how the game is designed/supposed to be. The game description reads: "Build up your base, optimize your resource production and discover new attack and defence tactics as you prepare Player vs. Player and Player vs. Environment battles", so this means destroying Forgotten bases and move up, but certainly fight against some human players too. I respect how others may like their way of gaming (PvE only for example), but it's just a game and everyone has to find its own way of how to enjoy the game which for me is both PvE and PvP
The reason it game is (or was) called BETA means we can help the game producers a hand by pointing out bugs, exploits and balancing issues so they can improve the game to its perfection. I think the game still needs tweaks to get things right and the only way to find out is to play it. So as you can read I have had several reasons to join the event.
Now me and my team have gotten into many fights so far. Against Forgotten camps, outposts and bases, and also against high and low level human players. Even the stronger ones. But the fight against the Russians were of total different caliber and not exactly what we've expected. Now we're the lowest on rankings from the teams that joined, still you'd expect we could take down lower or equal leveled bases without too much difficulty. This was not true.
- destroy a lvl 19 base with my lvl 22-23 units took us 6 attacks in a row for our members if the base was not alerted
- destroying a level 19 guardian tower took me 2.5 to 3x as much as it would normally (as for any other defensive building or unit)
- enemy could easily alert all their bases in camps, so at least 10-15 of them would fire their support weapons if any enemy attacked them
- destroy a base base which is alerted gives us no chance. before any attacking unit could shoot, they were hit to -50% health due to the support buildings
- players can save up or buy CP so they're able to attack very high level Forgotten bases, advance to the center of the map and take control of very high level POIs
- due to the way POI are rated, due to the way players can gather high level POIs, some alliances can gain a way higher bonus, making the gap too great
- due to the bonuses and bonus gaps, a lower alliance can never win a war against any big alliance. Not even when teaming up with other allies if waited for too long. Not on the very first few servers anyway.
Defending your base is always difficult. You don't know what kind of enemy you're against until he or she shows up with his army. However, in most cases you can team up together and quite effectively act on any incoming enemy. Everyone knows the limits: any player usually run out of CP/RP after a couple of attacks, usually around 4-8 depending on distance and choice of units. So you know what to expect. Now in this scenario I have experienced it differently.
- the game allows people to save up and buy CP, CP slots, RP slots. this way players can save up to a huge amount that are normally not possible.
- our enemy was able to use just 2 players to hit 25 bases of us and our allies within the hour. basically killing everybody on my screen.
- alliance bonusses don't help much against this either if the incoming enemy has way better bonuses
We've seen enough for now. I think EA needs some serious thinking and tweaking if they want this game to be running smooth and succesful:
- POI ratings and bonus advantages might need some re-work. Currently they can stack up and give teams a way too big advantage (eg. POI bonus + rank bonus = total POI bonus)
- Support buildings should have some re-works done too, they should be limited to X range and should not be triggered with friendly fire since this probably wasn't the intention of the developers
- Buying credits should only affect the game little, like special looks, ranks, badges, but should not affect the whole game as it does now. It ruins the game completely because it's not balanced. Paying players can be twice, hence maybe 3 or 4 times better and faster than non-paying players (eg. 4-8 attacks with CP/RP against 8-12 attacks).
I hope EA can implement these changes ASAP before launching any new server. It's too late for our Beta server 3 anyway, but there's still little hope for the others
- for the effort of all my team members from Echo of Silence who participated or supported our actions/this event and game so far.
- GoSuNo for your call for help/invite/challenge and clearing things up on your end.
- RussianAllianceS for helping out pointing the weakenesses and unbalance of the game.
- for all playing on BETA server 3, for those participating in the event/war from both sides.
- EA for this great game, unfortunately it still needs adjustments to make it more playable and enjoyable.
No I'm not whining, I'm sure not quitting. Still on the same server and will enjoy the game but have to adjust a bit due to what happend :-)
GG, GL and have fun @game!