Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
UI Compass
iCaine Offline

UI Compass
Hi, commandersSmile

I have created this small script displaying a compass. It always points to currently selected base and shows a distance to it.

[Image: 1.jpg]

You can get it here http://cnc.appshive.net/

Hope you enjoy the script and that you will never get lost againSmile
16-11-2012 02:50 PM
 Search   Quote 
xtrapas2 Offline

RE: UI Compass
YES YES YES

thanks Tongue
16-11-2012 05:55 PM
 Search   Quote 
CCCal Offline

is it safe?
16-11-2012 07:14 PM
 Search   Quote 
xtrapas2 Offline

so far it was

@author:; please put it on userscripts.org and tag it accordingly (so it can be found using "tiberium" as search)
17-11-2012 11:47 AM
 Search   Quote 
eferz98 Offline

Thank you, iCaine. I think the script it awesome and helps to address something missing and needed for a long time. However, it does appears the compass gives the destination relative to the itself in the upper-right corner and not the center or "focus" of the screen. It would be more intuitive for the player if the distance is calculated from the center rather than the compass' current location.

For example, if one were to select a base from the right side panel then one would expect the distance listed to be zero. Instead, it indicates a distance which depends on the upper-right hand corner and will vary depending on the zoom level of the map. In order to reach "0", it would be necessary then move the base and to hide it behind compass. So, if someone gave me coordinates for my attention then I would have to move that spot beneath the compass in order to get an accurate distance reading due to the current offset.

[Image: I6Xeh.gif][Image: ho5UK.jpg]
17-11-2012 05:49 PM
 Search   Quote 
iCaine Offline

Hello, i am glad you like itSmile At the beginning the compass was pointing to the center of the screen but after a while of using it i decided to shift the base of coords to the compass itself.. Because if you have a big monitor (like me) its kinda hard to tell where the center is... Maybe the best would be to have some arrow moving around screen edges in direction where your base is but that would be much harder to achieve..
17-11-2012 08:11 PM
 Search   Quote 
xtrapas2 Offline

i dont mind having it on top left

i just move the "target" on the icon and have my distance
(make sure it works on different zoom levels, most use the zoom script)

you could make it "moveable" if you still can make the calculation correct
17-11-2012 09:38 PM
 Search   Quote 
freonchill Offline

love the compass, it helps when estimating how far you have to move to get to another place/target/etc.

i looked at your code hoping to see a pixel dimension for the placement, so that i could move it down on the screen, it covers up the base tiberium number and various items in the upper left hand corner that are pop-overs.

is there an easy way to shift in down on the screen the height of the background?

thanks,
08-12-2012 07:40 PM
 Search   Quote 
BlinDManX Offline

on userscript.org you find a movable version
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/153193
09-12-2012 09:23 AM
 Search   Quote 
eferz98 Offline

Just want to point out that neither scripts seems to be working any more for me on the Close Beta worlds. The compass is no longer visible. It works fine on the servers that have not been upgraded to the December patch though.

[Image: I6Xeh.gif][Image: ho5UK.jpg]
09-12-2012 04:18 PM
 Search   Quote